Wednesday, July 6, 2011

4th of July

We decided to do fireworks on Saturday night so the kids didn't stay up late on Monday (mostly so they wouldn't be onry the next morning when I went to work).  Plus we had a great view of Eaglewood Golf courses fireworks-and we didn't have to deal with the crowds-definitely a plus.  

Alexis was super excited that Grandma Brenda and Grandpa Allen brought over soooo many fireworks and poppers for them. 

Makenna was completely enthralled by the fireworks and couldn't take her eyes off them. I think she was trying to figure out what they were, because she spent most of the night like-biting her tongue trying to concentrate.

(for some reason the pics I had of Kyle didn't really work, but he was loving picking out what firework to do next and was already choosing the next one before the one going off was finished.)
*****
Makenna's hair has just decided to grow like crazy and those curls make for some pretty awesome fros. 

I'm so bummed this picture was blurry, but I just love this new cheesy scrunchy smile that she does. I have a mission now-to get a clear picture of her doing this same smile that I did when I was a baby.

I was really glad we did fireworks on Saturday this year, because my sweet Grandma Gray passed away on Monday, and I definitely wasn't in much of a mood to celebrate.  She has suffered from Alzheimer's for a while and has been on hospice since May, but even having the time to prepare for her passing doesn't really make it easier when it does happen.   The crazy thing is I woke up Monday morning and just couldn't shake the feeling that she was going to die today, so when Tyler called me I just got chills, but I wasn't surprised at all. I think sometimes we are closer to heaven than we ever realize.   

Between my mom and dad always playing baseball or at the race track, Tyler and I spent a lot of time over at her house.   Funny thing is I think spending so much time with her definitely rubbed off on me.  She was the most organized person and hated clutter, everything had a place and I never remember her house ever having anything laying around.  I used to love sitting in her living room looking at catalogs that she got at JCPenny for me while she watched Price is Right or Wheel of Fortune. We used to have a contest to see who could guess the puzzle first, and still today if we are flipping the channels I always find myself stopping for a minute, and I do have to say that I totally would clean up if I were on that show-all because of her.   I loved how the only places she ever went was to watch softball games or the bowling alley, to get her hair done or to the market.  She was definitely the perfect housewife and always had a meal on the table for my Grandpa. Val told me on Monday night that now every 4th of July we can watch fireworks and remember how much happier and healthier my Grandma is.  I loved her so much and already miss her.


No comments: