Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Grandma Charm

Growing up my Grandma Boulter was always taking flowers up to the gravesites of her parents and sisters and friends, really anyone and everyone.  She was so thoughtful and probably kept the flower shoppe in business by her house for all the flowers she bought to take with her. To be honest I never got it, I just never could understand why you would want to go and visit a gravesite, there is something creepy and weird about it to me.  But for some reason Alexis doesn't feel this away and practically begs to go visit Grandma Charm's grave. On the only nice day of her spring break my mom and I took her up to the grave and you would of thought it was Christmas for her.  

Alexis was born exactly one month after my grandma passed away.  When Alexis was born the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck three times and was knotted twice.  I was put on bed-rest at 30 weeks due to other complications and we were so relieved every time we went to the doctors (which was 3 times a week for the last 6 weeks) and we were able to go home for a couple more days.  After 30 hours of labor and having the cord so tight around her neck, the outcome should of been very different than it was.  The minute after Alexis was born the nurse turned to me and said that this little girl must have an amazing guardian angel watching over her because so often babies don't survive under these circumstances.  I guess you had to be in the room, but my mom, Justin and I just both felt this overwhelming sensation that my Grandma was there with us making sure that Alexis got to this earth safely.  It was probably one of the most spiritual moments of my entire life.  I share this because I believe with all my heart that my Grandma is Alexis' guardian angel and I believe that she passed away when she did because Heavenly Father knew that I needed her help to make sure Alexis could get to this earth.  

Alexis has the sweetest heart and I know that my sweet Grandma has a bigger part of making her who she is, than anyone will ever realize. I know that Alexis has this connection to her Grandma that is absolutely unexplainable. She does things that my grandma did, like always wearing her robe or blanket (even in the dead of summer), laying at the bottom of the bed horizontally and pulling the blanket over her, finding anyway possible to put ice down someone's back.  Believe me these things we not taught to her, but somehow they are just part of who Alexis is.  

When Alexis was 2 and just barely talking I had a picture up of my entire family and one day I was holding her and she pointed to my grandma in this picture and said "that's my grandma, I used to play with her up in heaven".  There are just so many little things that Alexis does that make me realize how thin the line between heaven and earth really is.  
***
I didn't have my camera with me when we went to the cemetery so I borrowed my mom's and when I took it home I found some pictures of Makenna at the hospital.  Crazy how much a little girl can change in 8 months-although those chubby cheeks still look oddly familiar.

1 comment:

paxtonfam said...

That is so sweet and special :) I remember going on boat rides with your grandma.